Image caption: From my Globe and Mail article, When the birth of a multiple doesn't go as planned. Art by Lindsay Campbell.
Experienced and passionate writer/journalist
Detail-oriented editor and proofreader
Results-driven project manager
Talented creative thinker
Exceptional relationship builder
Caring teacher, mentor and team builder
Demonstrated leadership abilities
Writing and Editing
Freelance Writer and Blogger 2001-Present
- Contribute creative nonfiction feature articles, lifestyle, parenting, health and beauty articles to Good Housekeeping, The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, Clean Eating, Chatelaine, Canadian Living, Best Health, Today’s Parent and ParentsCanada, among others.
- Blogger, 2009-Present: arijoshandme.blogspot.com, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce on UrbanMoms.ca and contribute to thenewfamily.com
Editor, Family Communications September 2011-December 2014
Editor, Prom Canada Magazine
- Spearheaded the successful creation and launch of Canada’s first and only prom magazine, 2013-2014.
- Built relationships and networked at industry events, planned all content, including beauty, fashion and lifestyle, wrote, assigned, edited and proofed stories in InDesign, paginated magazine, planned and coordinated photo shoots, worked with PR, media, creative teams and sales, integrated with social media team to produce engaging, interactive online content and increase participation via contests and other activities.
- Took initiative to promote the magazine through media, events and in-person appearances, creating opportunities to expand our brand name. Was interviewed as the expert in CBC and Toronto Star articles.
Senior Editor, Today’s Bride Magazine
- From 2012 to 2014, wrote for, edited and proofed all sections of Canada’s most established bridal magazine. Pitched engaging, relevant, on-trend stories, secured high-res images and products for cross-media initiatives, worked with experts, built positive relationships and represented magazine at media events, assisted with the direction and content of photo shoots and cover and all sections including beauty, planning and fashion.
- Responsible for all media and PR initiatives, including appearances on the Global TV Morning Show and Marilyn Denis, as well as successful online initiatives such as contests and videos that garnered thousands of page views.
Contributing Editor, ParentsCanada Magazine, and Editor, Pre and Postnatal Magazines
- As associate editor (2011-2012) wrote lifestyle, health, and parenting features for ParentsCanada, pitched and executed branding initiatives (recipe contest, successful short story competition), produced toy guide and product features, helped write cover lines with editorial team, edited and proofed articles before publication. As contributing editor (2013-2014) wrote chapter articles on various health, wellness and parenting topics.
- Responsible for establishing a successful toy testing event at SickKids Hospital. Organized the inaugural event, established relationships, followed through with media coverage, garnering positive coverage on Global TV News, Global TV Morning Show, CityTV, CTV News and in The Toronto Star.
- Wrote, edited, and paginated a series of four national pre and postnatal magazines, collaborated with art director and managed freelance writers to produce publications on time and budget while multi-tasking and managing all other responsibilities on deadline.
Teaching and Mentoring
Instructor, Writing for Public Relations Professionals, Seneca College January 2013-May 2015
- Developed engaging presentations, lectures and multi-media demonstrations for postgraduate public relations students. Based on loose curriculum, create original, relevant and practical assignments, offer constructive feedback and grade all assignments.
- Mentored students, deliver workshops on writing, interviewing and job search skills.. Take initiative to introduce them to working professionals, enabling them to network, gain hands-on experience and a foot in the door.
Communications and Marketing
Editor/Writer, Communications and Marketing, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto June 2007-February 2010
- Developed a patient-centred publications strategy, dramatically improving the quality of Mount Sinai’s publications. Wrote, edited and managed publications, including a glossy donor magazine three times a year, a bi-weekly newsletter, the annual report and an e-newsletter, as well as oversaw the redesign of our intranet.
- Also managed the intern program, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and mentoring.
Writer, Office of Development, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston October 2006-May 2007
- Writer and project manager for communications and marketing materials including annual report, newsletters, and invitations and programs for special events. Also coordinated multi-media initiatives such as videos and photo shoots.
Freelance Writer, Advertising and Publications, New York University, New York
June 2006-August 2006
- Worked with the undergraduate accounts team to write, edit, and produce brochures, view books, and other recruitment materials for undergraduate and high school students.
Senior Writer/Editor, Alumni Affairs & Development Communications, Harvard University, Boston November 2005-May 2006
- Wrote, edited, and acted as project manager to produce development materials, including Resources magazine, brochures, press releases, talking points, invitations, and event materials for the university and alumni community.
- Recognition: The February 2006 Resources won 2nd place in a national competition, the Premier Print Award for the Printing Industries of America.
Communications Intern/Policy Analyst, Ontario Ministry of Education May 2003-June 2005
- Wrote and edited high-level government material and correspondence, initiated learning initiatives for staff, trained writers and coordinated conference.
- As policy analyst, conducted research to inform policy options, analyzed reports, drafted material for senior management and the public.
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction, King's College, Halifax August 2015-June 2017
Currently pursuing my MFA and writing a non-fiction divorce "foodoir."
Postgraduate Degree, Ryerson University School of Journalism September 2001-June 2003
Awards: Won award for excellence in reporting and made dean’s list each year.
Leadership: Established journalism scholarship at Ryerson to honour late professor Jerry Gladman.
Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto September 1998-May 2001
Journalism: Provided content for the university newspaper on a regular basis.
Awards: Earned 6 academic awards and selected for dean’s list each year.
Member of: The Creative Nonfiction Collective, Canadian Authors Association. Affiliated with: Ontario Writers Conference, Creative Nonfiction Magazine, Literistic, Brevity.
At George Brown College, excelled in the Creative Non-Fiction for Children writing course and continued to workshop my manuscript.
Founder, The Ex-Files Single Parent Support Group April 2014-Present
- Founded growing network of single parents in Toronto.
- Organize engaging monthly events for local single parents.
- Responsible for all event planning, social media, media and relationship-building initiatives. Manage social media networks including Facebook, Meetup.com, Twitter.